Bush Quotes

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Huh?

So I listened to the State of the Union on NPR, and to be honest, I was confused. So, I read the transcript of it online. Guess what, still confused. Was it just me, or did W. not actually say anything other than "9/11!! Remember 9/11!!! Terrorists!!! Hate you for your freedom!!!" How much longer is he allowed to continue using that to reach his goals of alienating the world?

I started reading some of his initiatives, and tried to understand them, but it didn't happen. He talked about reauthorizing No Child Left Behind, about all the good left to be done with it and how effective it's been, even though there are still many states to don't get anywhere near the money that they are entitled to. He mentioned renewable energy and reducing dependence on foreign oil and his desire to reduce the amount of oil we use by 20% over ten years. Shit, we could do that in five if someone had the balls to force automobile companies to increase fuel efficiency. He talked about eliminating the federal deficit within five years, even though it continues to increase into the trillions as a result of this war and spending by Republicans. Republicans!!! The party that apparently is anti big government, except when they have all the power and can do as they please.

The one I'm really confused by in his health care initiative. I, like so many other Americans, spend a lot of time without any health care, and can't remember the last time I had full health care. Usually I'm just covered by major medical in case I break a leg or something mountain biking or hiking. So I listened, then I read, then I reread, and reread again, and I still have no clue what the hell he is talking about. I know I'm not the smartest guy, but I think I'm still smarter than a majority of our country, hell, I'd even go so far as to say 60%, but I'm confused. If you have health insurance through your job, and you are married, you don't have to pay payroll taxes or income taxes on $15k of your income, if single, $7500. Alright, I understand that, but here's where I get confused. If you purchase health care outside of your job, you get a tax savings of $4500 for a family of four that makes $60k. Huh? I thought this was supposed to make things easier. It seems to me, and I may not be looking at this right, that you are making out better, both financially and insurancely (if our president can make up words, then so can I,) if you get insurance through your job. Otherwise, as always, you're fucked. If anyone can clear this up, please do.

I'm not going to get into his whole war on terror nonsense, mostly because I thought Jim Webb of Virginia with the Democratic response did an excellent job at this.

One more thing, when W. got to the section of the speech were he was introducing people in the gallery like Dikembe Mutombo, etc, the commentator on NPR noted that, "this is apparently the feel good section of the speech." Brilliant.

Anyways, I didn't think his speech was that impressive, in many parts, I feel like he didn't actually say anything. He's a terrible orator, which everyone already knows, and his speech writers need to be fired. Otherwise, another exciting evening in the world of egos, I mean politics.

No comments: